Advocating for the arts through community engagement
Arts Engaged exists:
- To encourage artists, arts organizations, and those they serve to view themselves as equal partners in building better communities; and
- To train and support them toward that end.
ArtsEngaged believes that close working relationships among artists, arts organizations, and the broader community enable better living conditions for all and create a healthier, more sustainable environment for the arts.
"Doug Borwick is the spokesperson for the importance and value of community engagement, and provides tools and thinking to improve your organization's operations in this area." Barry Hessenius, My Fifteen Favorite Nonprofit Arts Blogs
328 N. Spring Street
Winston-Salem, NC 27101
Areas of Practice
Advocate among artists and arts organizations for the adoption of a community engagement agenda; encourage the broader community to ask for community-focused arts.
- Engaging Matters (www.artsjournal.com/engage)
- Building Communities, Not Audiences: The Future of the Arts in the U.S.
- Engage Now! A Guide to Making the Arts Indispensable
- Presentations for state and local arts agency conferences/meetings highlighting the merits of substantive engagement.
- Presentations for community groups (e.g., United Way, government agencies) highlighting the potential of the arts for building stronger communities.
Train artists and arts organizations in the skills required for engagement; prepare communities for arts-based collaborations.
- Artists/Arts Organizations
- Community Engagement Training: Online or face-to-face training in principles and practices supporting effective community engagement
- In the community: Workshops and residencies on the process of and tools for engagement (including social practice training programs for artists)
- In higher education: Presentations, workshops, residencies, and certificate programs on the process of and tools for engagement designed for arts administration, dance, music, theatre, and/or visual arts students
- Community workshops and residencies
- Presentations to community organizations on working with the arts
- Facilitated conversations between artists/arts organizations and community members/organizations
Support artists and arts organizations in transitioning to community-focused engagement.
Books by Doug Borwick
Use the form below to contact us regarding your questions. Please be as detailed as possible. Include your industry along with any specific requests. To help us best service your enquiry, we recommend that you first describe the issue you’re having before telling us what you want to achieve. You may also email or call us to make an appointment.
For speaking engagements, please email us detailed information. Thank you for your interest in having Doug Borwick speak to your organization. Please use the form below and we will get in touch with you as soon as possible.
To learn more information about community engagement and the courses offered by arts engaged, be sure to click the services tab at the top of this page.